Poynton PANDAS

Poynton PANDAS
"We truly believe that when you talk to others who have been through similar things, you take the first step on the road to recovery"

Saturday 30 May 2015

Milk allergies, sleep deprivation and the postnatal depression haze




Hi my name is Alyssa and I'm a relatively new Poynton PANDAS Group Member.

My son J is 2 and I am slowly adjusting to life as a mum.  It's not all rainbows and butterflies like some people lead you to believe.  I had a good pregnancy, easy labour, I turned up at hospital fully dilated.  I went on to have the perfect water birth, in fact I would do that again tomorrow.  However it all seemed to go downhill from then.

In all honesty the first few months, if not first year of J's life is a blur to me.  We had feeding problems which resulted in a short hospital stay after J was born.  I ended up having to express and cup feed J for what seemed like forever.  Eventually 2 weeks in I broke down and 'gave in', I started to give J formula.  Now I know what you're thinking. I bet you thought that would be a lot easier.  In J's case though it wasn't as that was the start of our journey, which ended up with him being diagnosed with Cows Milk Protein Allergy.

J spent most of his newborn days crying and sleeping very little.  We put this down to him being a newborn baby, that's what they do isn't it.  However he would cry for a feed, take ages and fuss when feeding.  Then he would be unsettled for ages before finally falling asleep for maybe 20 minutes before the cycle started again.  I lasted 4 weeks before he had a sleepover at grandmas.  I physically couldn't function I was getting barely 3 hours of broken sleep a night.  When he went to stay at my mums I wasn't remotely upset, I didn't miss him.  This then made me feel guilty for not missing him , sounds daft doesnt it.


When J was 4 months old I went to the doctors about him having reflux but I ended up breaking down on the GP.  I got referred for CBT and given Anti Depressents.  At the time I didn't think CBT was that helpful but looking back it has definitely made me question my thoughts and feelings when I am feeling down.  I found the fact I did CBT 1 to 1 and in person was a big help to me rather than an online course.  I ended up stopping my AD's as I ran out and got into the cycle of not being able to go to get another prescription.  At my worst point I was to afraid to go out of the house incase J started crying and people thought I was a bad mum as I couldn't make him stop.  Eventually with the help of others I managed to slowly walk round the block each day and built it up.  Everytime I went out I just secretly hoped that I wouldn't bump into anyone.


When I finally made it back to the GP and started back on the AD's I noticed a massive difference.  I still take them now but that is nothing I am ashamed of.  I am in a much better place now but still have my down episodes but I can notice when it is happening more now. One of the things I find helpful is getting out of the house even when I don't feel like it.  That is where Poynton PANDAS has come in handy.  I also suffer from anxiety and going out and J playing up is part of that worry.  I have been made to feel welcome at the group and have explained to Rhi this problem.  This in itself is half of the problem solved as I know if J does play up they understand.   Most recently with evil teething I have been having a bad time but I made myself go to the Poynton PANDAS group and can safely say that it lifted my mood whilst I was there.

I actually started a blog as a coping mechanism for my PND www.mumtomonster.com  It was a way for me to get my feelings and thoughts out of my head.  It has now turned into an online diary as such and a way to store memories as I cannot remember so much of the first year because of the PND haze.  Depression is nothing to be ashamed about and I have never had a problem opening up about it.  This was one of the things that annoyed me as apparently talking about depression helps you recover, but in my case it didn't.

..........

If you could do with some understanding company when times are hard, come to Poynton PANDAS weekly drop-in support group.

Every term time Monday 10.45-12.15 at St George's Church Hall, Poynton.

For more information email psppoynton@aol.co.uk

www.facebook.com/poyntonPANDAS

No comments:

Post a Comment