Poynton PANDAS

Poynton PANDAS
"We truly believe that when you talk to others who have been through similar things, you take the first step on the road to recovery"

Thursday 21 May 2015

Dear Sally




Dear Sally

I received a message today. It came from PANDAS Foundation. It said very little. In fact it just had your name, email and telephone number. I was really happy to get your message. I was pleased that you have reached out. My name is Rhiannon. I'm 38 years old and mum to 3.5 year old twins Will & Bea. I run Poynton PANDAS Support Group in Cheshire.

So I wonder what brought you to the point where you sent the request to PANDAS? Are you poorly or are you concerned about someone else? Have you been diagnosed with pre or postnatal illness or do you need a chat about your symptoms?

Let me tell you a bit about me and the group. As I said I'm Rhiannon and I'm a volunteer peer supporter. There are 5 of us all together - well 6 if you count Julia our counsellor - she's fab! We've all suffered from pre or postnatal illness and we're surprised how it has affected us all so differently. You see I didn't get ill until my twins were about 6 months old - it was mostly anxiety and insomnia for me. For our other volunteers it was different. Some were really poorly during pregnancy but much better postnatally and not all of us have suffered with every baby. Anyway I'm digressing..... How are you?

All I know about you so far is that you would like to join our group. I really hope you do. We run a small, welcoming and friendly "baby & toddler" style group. It's free and you can bring your little ones too if you want to. One of the main things we aim to do is provide a weekly, safe place where parents can chat. It can be hard at first for our new members as they often feel so much shame when they first arrive. We can meet you first for a coffee if you would like. We can come down to the carpark and help you walk into group for the first time. Whatever makes you feel comfortable really.

You'll get a brew and biscuits and plenty of time to talk about what's happening with you. You'll hopefully feel a massive sense of relief knowing that you're among people you can be honest with. No more hiding or pretending required with us.

We sometimes have an artist who comes to do arts n crafts with the kids. We sometimes have volunteers who show us how to massage our babies and toddlers but most of all, we just sit, drink tea, play with the kids and chat.

I hope to meet you soon,



Rhiannon.

--------------

Poynton PANDAS - a support group for parents suffering pre and postnatal illness
Every Monday during term-time
10.45-12.15
St George's Church Hall, Poynton

email: psppoynton@aol.co.uk
www.facebook.com/PoyntonPANDAS


No comments:

Post a Comment